Plan Your Reno
Wondering where to start? We’ve worked on hundreds of kitchen updates and renovation, and determined the three critical but simple steps to a successful kitchen update project.
Step 1 - Dream
This is the first exciting stage towards achieving greatness. Start by thinking about what you love and what you would change about your current kitchen. Imagine how you want yourself and/or your family and friends to move and interact in your new kitchen. If you need inspiration look at our Houzz and Facebook pages. We also highly recommend visiting IKEA® to spend time walking through their kitchen showrooms. We encourage you to browse our blog for tips and examples of ways to improve your kitchen’s function and search Houzz.com for “IKEA kitchens” for more great ideas.
You don’t have to feel over whelmed making decisions on your own, just get a sense of what you like—our designers will offer lots of great ideas and advice when they are in your home.
Dreaming is a fun and important step in the process, but the one thing that we can’t dream about is budget. Setting a budget creates realistic expectations that will make it easier for everyone involved in your project to make you happy.
Step 2 - Plan
This is where you make your dream a reality. Contact one of IKANs professional designers for an in-home consultation. Our designers will collaborate with you to create a functional and beautiful plan. With over a decade of industry experience, we have built many strong working relationships and can provide trusted recommended contractors and sub-trades for all your renovation needs. For further tips on prepping for your reno check out our FAQs.
Step 3 - Savor
Bon Appétit! Cook, bake, sip, entertain, relax. Do all those things you dreamt of in your elegant, functional new IKAN kitchen.
1. If it suits you well enough, keep your current layout. Costs can add up quickly when you take down walls and move plumbing, electrical and gas lines. We believe well-designed kitchens with interior organizers for cabinets and drawers can solve most homeowners issues about not having enough storage space.
2. Chose a flat-packed cabinetry system. The experts agree—Sarah Richardson, JD Power, Style at Home magazine—it is the most economical way to get great cabinetry.
3. Use big drawers instead of lower cabinets wherever possible so you can easily use the entire storage space.
4. Have a contingency fund of at least 20% to cover overages, splurges and unforeseen conditions, such as moving an electrical component.
5. Ask about floor-model appliances or last year’s models to save some cash.
6. Include lots of power outlets.